Domain Agnostic Naming Convention for Axure Based UX Projects [part 1]
This convention is offered for review, discussion and adoption by others in the UX community in the belief that there is no need to reinvent the wheel for each new project and that we could all benefit from some standardization. Comments and suggestions are most welcome.
- UI Framework (all shared UX widgets, patterns etc.)
- Medical Staff Portal (doctors, nurses, etc.)
- Patients Portal (Charts, lab results, prescriptions, etc.)
- Pharmacy Portal (Prescription Tacking, etc.)
- UI Framework = FW
- Medical Staff Portal = MD
- Patients Portal = PP
- Pharmacy Portal = RX
- Domain nomenclature (Pharmacy could be PR, but RX makes more sense)
- Avoiding confusion in the future (Patient portal could be PT, for example, but may be confused with a sub section under MD for Physical Therapy (widely known as PT)
- Naming conventions of other partners in the project that may have started their work before the UX team. Often, the business process team is in place early on. The goal is to gain alignment and reuse confusion.
- FW = 900 to 999
- MD = 100 to 199
- PP = 200 to 299
- RX = 300 to 399
Continue to create the corresponding nodes on the Maters panel - Here we can take advantage of folders to structure the wireframes without creating extraneous pages. Note that we add "M-" to all masters to help distinguish between masters and pages.
Names should be meaningful and self-explanatory to provide maximal clarity to all stakeholders. Keep in mind that you need to communicate with others, so avoid shortcuts, ambiguous names. From our example:
The RX team has a wireframe page with a list of drugs and a detail page of each drug, which is presented when the user clicks a row in the list.
The 2 pages should be named:
- RX-301 Drug List
- RX-302 Drug Detail
4.1 Workstream Masters
These are masters of limited use - only on pages related to a particular workstream. For example, the MD workstream has several pages related to Board certification of doctors and nurses. These are relevant only to the MD portal, and the ID of masters used there will communicate this fact:
For example: M-FW-900.1 etc. Note that the 3-digit prefix for masters does not advance. Rather, it is an indicator of the workstream and not associated with a particular page of the workstream because masters can be used on multiple pages. M-MD-100.1, for the first master for the MD workstream, etc.
Unfortunately, Axure does not allow page notes for dynamic panels and their states. AAs a result, the ability to reference with accuracy any element of a dynamic panel is important, and can be done on the master level, which can be cumbersome, but allows documenting those elements.
M-PT-305-BTN.1 Button Name, or more complex....
To be continued in part 2.